Saturday, October 13, 2007

Earworms

"Earworms" is the English translation of a German word that means "songs that get stuck in your head." I like this name - reminds me of something that happens in a Star Trek movie.

I keep track of my Earworms in an iTunes playlist. The rule (and you've got to be strict about this) is that these songs must have no reason to enter my brain or must stay there much longer than they can be of any use.

They do not have to be any good.

I believe that I have by now found all of them. I present my earworms here, in the order they've occured to me over the years, from oldest to newest. From a meta perspective, that means this blog entry represents over two years of work and no more than thirty minutes of work simultaneous.

Cantaloop
Us3

Can You Get To That
Funkadelic

Handcuffs
Parliament

Run on
Moby

Bigger
Propellerheads

Praise You
Fatboy Slim

Dirty Harry
Gorillaz

Feel Good Inc.
Gorillaz

Satan Is My Motor
Cake

Zak and Sara
Ben Folds

It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career
Belle & Sebastian

The Bird That You Can't See
Apples In Stereo

Chewing Gum
Annie

Cities
Phish

The 50 States Song (Live)
Sufjan Stevens

She'z in Control
Chromeo

She Don't Use Jelly
Ben Folds Five

Alpha Beta Gaga
Air

19-2000
Gorillaz

Am I Black Enough For You?
Billy Paul

Mr. Blue Sky
Electric Light Orchestra

Jacksonville
Sufjan Stevens

Crazy
Gnarls Barkley

Up for the Down Stroke
Parliament

Hollaback Girl
Gwen Stefani

Rocketman
Elton John

Y Control
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

My Humps
Black Eyed Peas

All Night Disco Party
Brakes

DARE
Gorillaz

Freezepop Forever
Freezepop

Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
The Arcade Fire

I Turn My Camera On
Spoon

The Man In Me
Bob Dylan

Picture Book
The Kinks

Make Money
Jr Mafia featuring Lil Kim & Biggie Small

99 Problems (Produced By Rick Rubin)
Jay-Z

After Hours
The Velvet Underground

Christmas Time is Here (vocal)
Charlie Brown Christmas

Seven Nation Army
The White Stripes

Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk
Parliament

Girls
Beastie Boys

Appletree
Erykah Badu

Do You Remember Walter?
The Kinks

Tyrone
Erykah Badu

Sister Christian
Night Ranger

Touch The Sky
Kanye West

Road to Nowhere
Talking Heads

Lefty Loosey
They Might Be Giants

Demon Days
Gorillaz

Don't Get Lost In Heaven
Gorillaz

Where Do They Make Balloons?
They Might Be Giants

Good Time
Leroy

Over And Over
Hot Chip

Take Your Mama
Scissor Sisters

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Daft Punk

Crescendolls
Daft Punk

My Doorbell
The White Stripes

Waiting For The Bus
Violent Femmes

The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
The Beatles

Flight of the Conchords theme song
Flight of the Conchords

The Night Chicago Died
Paper Lace

Fantasy
Mariah Carey

Hooray for Hollywood
Rosemary Clooney

Caravan
Duke Ellington

I'm Easy Like Sunday Morning
Lionel Ritchie & The Commodores

Genius of Love
Tom Tom Club

Alternate Route To Vulcan Street
Super Furry Animals

Sidewalk Serfer Girl
Super Furry Animals

No comments: