Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Production Diary: Day 1

This was the first day of production and it was a long, hard day. I am part of a somewhat inexpert staff of production assistants, including myself. This is my first feature (full-length) film, but many of these PAs have never been on a film set before.

The line producer threw me an interesting curveball today. He asks me for the keys to the truck, and I say I don't have them. I check my pockets. I do have them. I run to the truck and give the line producer the keys. He's about to ask me to move the truck, but he sees the state I'm in (I can usually tolerate a mistake unless I make it myself), and says nevermind, he'll do it himself. Then he says "you need to calm down," as in, as a general rule. It was a quick and inciteful observation. I mean, huh.

On the back of the wardrobe truck, the director of the wardrobe department asks me if I know what firewatch is. I tell her not only do I know what fire watch is, but I've assigned PAs to do it myself.

"You've done films before?"

"Yeah."

"Somehow I got that impression."

Most essential film nomenclature of the day: a charged walky battery is a "hot brick," as in "I need a hot brick [now]."

Most charming film nomenclature of the day: When something is going somewhere, it is "flying in," as in "hot brick flying in."

Least charming thing of the day, or, like, ever: I sweat like a hot pig.

No comments: