Wednesday, April 12, 2006

ribble's Quest: Day 5

<--Back to the previous post in this series
<--Back to the first post in this series

Yesterday was the final day of my quest to find the next great writer's cafe, and I'm spent. The day before I'd downed a few too many double cappucinos and I'd been up all night (that's when I learned about Gorillaz).

Yesterday I went to Lucky Cat in Williamsburg. Lucky Cat was the last place mentioned on this thread on Gothamist that I'd decided to look in to. It turned out to be a very nice bar, newly remodeled, where I was told by the very nice owner that I was a little early for open mike night, but it was two for one on beers.


I drank my beers, had an excellent dinner down the street, and retreated to Atlas Cafe, where I found myself too drunk to write a simple chase scene.

So it ends, and not with a bang. Still, I got to know a couple of neighborhoods in the greatest city in the world a little better, and I've found a number of good places to write in New York. Here's my list, in chronological order by date of discovery:

Hungarian Pastry Shop
Amsterdam between 110th and 111th Uptown
Advantages: Best place to write in New York City, free refills
Disadvantages: Waaaay uptown

Mid-Manhattan Library
Bryant Park in Midtown
Advantages: In Midtown, demonstrates blase attitude to national monuments
Disadvantages: Closes at six Thursday through Saturday, no coffee permitted

Tea Lounge
Union St. between 6th Ave. and 7th Ave. in Park Slope
Advantages: Big, lots of kids running around, good grilled cheese, tea
Disadvantages: Too close to my apartment

The Atlas Cafe
Havemeyer and Grand in Williamsburg
Advantages: Not pretentious in any way, free interweb
Disadvantages: Occasionally demonstrate poor taste in music

Grounded
Jane St. at 8th in Greenwich Village
Advantages: Ceiling fans, tea
Disadvantages: Turnover at tables is on the quick edge of acceptable

I should point out that all of these places are quiet with plenty of space to sit, good, cheap beverages and no pressure to leave.

That's it. As quests go, it hasn't been bad.

<--Back to the previous post in this series
<--Back to the first post in this series

2 comments:

Speedrail said...

i love stories about snake eyes getting too drunk to do things. except for the time when he got too drunk to win a dance contest. that was just sad.

ribble said...

Let me explain about the dance contest: it was at Lit. I totally won, but when the D.J. was like, "you, who couldn't stop dancing, come and get your drink coupon," everyone who had been dancing acted all modest and pointed to everyone else as the person who should win the contest, so I pointed at other people, too. And then some girl went up and just flat-out asked for the drink coupon! And she didn't win at all! And the D.J. said, "well, I guess if you're too drunk to pick up this ticket, I'll just give it to this girl." But I wasn't too drunk! I was just too modest! And now Speedy is spreading this vicious rumor. It's just too much for me...