Sunday, May 07, 2006

Did I Mention Obscure References?

Remember when I saw Slevin? The real highlight of seeing that movie (besides the rare opportunity to hang out with Cindy) was a two-minute Wes Anderson American Express commercial.

I watched the director's commentary to The Royal Tenenbaums last night and it reminded me Wes Anderson is one of the few people who are making good movies at the moment. The commercial is a parody of a scene Day For Night, Truffaut's movie about making movies. In that scene, Truffaut's propmaster asks him which gun he wants in a critical scene (Truffaut chooses a smaller gun because his actor has small hands). Truffaut's voice over explains that being the director is to be constantly asked questions.

The commercial is now viewable online. Click on the guy in the hat holding the french fry at the bottom of the screen - you may need to scroll with the stupid arrows. The commercial is nearly impossible to find if you don't know exactly where to look, and it doesn't look nearly as good off the big screen. Still, you have to admire a man who will go to such lengths for such obscure jokes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Richard!
Just wanted to pop in and say I miss you! Dan does too. He says to tell you that now and then he does a little tush-shaking dance in your honor.

ribble said...

See, my friends love me. Dan's dance is actually a secret code that tells me where the honey is, if you know what I mean (it is at the grocery store).

Anonymous said...

Dan says you are brilliant.
You can read about our adventures (or lack thereof) in Portland at lifeinlondon.livejournal.com (obviously started when we lived in London). Right now it's mostly friends-only though so you have to have an LJ account to read it. :-(