Thursday, September 14, 2006

Standing, Sitting, Lying Down

I realized yesterday that I have spent a lot of time on my current production looking for a place to sit down. This is not normal for me and certainly not a good sign for this production, but so many warning signs have gone up on this thing already that it's a wonder it hasn't ground to a halt just from the weight of them. A PA's time is supposed to be the least valuable time on set. If PAs aren't working, then no one's working, and if no one's working, you're not making a movie.

That said, I found a killer place to sit down yesterday. My assignment was to make sure pedestrian traffic kept moving on Broadway despite all the equipment we'd set up in anticipation of the arrival of the star. As his arrival turned out to be an hour coming despite, for example, the hotel being 10 minutes away, I had plenty of time to figure out where to sit.

At first I was sitting on an applebox, but I stood up for a minute and an assistant camera-type snagged it. Then the only thing I could get to without leaving my ever-important post was a USA Today newspaper box, but it was too high for me to get on top of without tipping the damn thing over and ending up on my face. So, after several minutes of planning, I opened the box for a free newspaper (something about Trump real estate), stuck a foot in there, and used it as a step to get on top of the USA Today box. Pretty badass, nacht?

4 comments:

Jose said...

Congratulations you've mastered urban gymnastics 101. Now you're ready to master shimmying up lamp poles.

ribble said...

OMG did you see this? (Link via Monkeys for Helping.

Anonymous said...

Wow- I want their shoes! Either that or see the clips that didn't make it- you know, the ones of the guys falling flat on their faces and missing the landing. :-)

ribble said...

Shoes or death?