Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Compulsion to Write

I've been trying to keep the ratio of posts about blogging to posts about everything else to a minimum, but resisting self-indulgence has never been my strong suit.

The first thing I've noticed is that I can't stop writing. Like everyone who's ever been involved in the film business, I am working on a screenplay. I did a first draft and put it down for, oh, about a year. Lately, I've picked it up again, and I've made good progress. They say the key to writing is to write - I'm writing that script again because of this blog.

The other thing I've noticed is how quickly ribble's has gotten a consistent tone. A little personal, a little sad, funny but not ha-ha funny. Basically, I've got a blog that sounds like me. Not the same as being a good blog, but a decent start.

Then there's this weird format. My cousin the revolutionary is in an internet media class taught him that linking is what defined blogs as a medium. What I didn't realize was to what degree blogging could indulge the instinct for references that I've always had.

I've written in a lot of different mediums — scripts, a good newspaper, a bad newspaper, papers for my high-pedigree school. Oh yeah. I've done it all. Blogs are the closest I've come to being able to write like I think.

4 comments:

Jose said...

Yeah your blog sounds like you, free-flowing humorous confusion. Thanks for the link through.

Anonymous said...

mcat1747Hey babe;

Love the blog; this is like talking to you on the phone, only better, because you can just talk, then I can just read, then I can process, and then I can write back. So - what's happening here - not much writing being done here - too busy making money, getting the house back together, hanging with the dog, changing the world, etc., etc..

JM and I are here in Atlanta checking out real estate and looking for a place we can both live. I'm voting for the loft (I'll garden at FBT's); JM is looking for no attached walls - obviously a challenge for our non-real estate agent Cheryl.

Miss you, love you, would love for you to come chill with us when you're tired of the cuz. Just call a day in advance, so we can vacuum.

The littleist-

MCat

Loksome said...

your linking and referencing is OUT OF HAND!!!!!

ribble said...

Loksome, you have just made this from an ego-soothing page of compliments in to an ego-enhancing page of compliments. Awful kind of you.