Wednesday, March 15, 2006

ribble's cult

I've developed a sick fascination with the ads for Axe body wash, The Order of the Serpentine. I've never seen a cult recruitment video, but the oversaturated color, the deliberate use of an unsynched voice over, the use of video over film and the narrative structure of the story made it strangely affecting.

I am not going to blog music, because then this would turn in to a blog about They Might Be Giants and Parliament-Funkadelic. But I will blog obscure references, and I think there's a direct connection between these ads and the title track of Comfort Eagle. The first time I heard that song, I freaked like Jesus.

If you ride on a subway in New York for long enough, someone you don't know will hand you a piece of paper. Experience has shown these papers fall in to one of three categories.

The first two are Falun Gong literature and commercial advertisements. These should and can be easily avoided - just look for short women in funny hats or people who look like they're being paid to stand there, respectively.

The third is bible tracts, and I have had more fun reading bible tracts than anything I have ever brought on the train for myself. Bible tracts have a sentiment to them, an honesty, a straightforwardness, and, yes, a spirituality that as a dyed-in-the-wool, never-look-back atheist I appreciate with no more irony than that endemic to the situation.

Maybe I've just been deprived, but something about paper-thin spirituality really rings true for me.

No comments: