Thursday, July 05, 2007

Stupid Shit My Roommates Have Done (1 of 3)

My Cousin the Revolutionary, Female Roommate #1 and I are in the living room when who should walk in but a big, fat roach. We scream like little girls for awhile (this is back when roaches in my New York City apartment still seemed like a big deal), but eventually we get the thing cornered.

So the roach is halfway under some object and halfway exposed. Because its head is in a dark place, this roach believes itself to be completely safe. It is, in short, in a perfect position for us to do some roach crushing.

As the owner of the apartment, the oldest and the most level-headed, I am in charge of Operation Roach Crush. I send MCTR to fetch an appropriate roach-crushing object while I keep a careful eye on the roach and Female Roommate #1 stands on a piece of furniture.

After a long moment while I keep a careful eye on our visitor, what should come flying in to my field of vision but a CD Case - not a jewel box even, but a soft CD case. The type of object you would feel free to give to your one-year-old because it has no sharp edges of any kind and could not possibly do any damage to anything.

Out of all the objects of moveable size within my apartment, this is the one my cousin has selected to kill our intruder.

The CD case lands directly on the position of the trespassing roach, alerting it to our position, scattering it to the dark corners of my apartment where we have no hope of reaching it and, predictably, doing no damage to it whatsoever.

2 comments:

Jose said...

I thought that the weight of case would crush it. Way to bring up old long forgotten memories. Was I your roommate at the time?

ribble said...

Nah, Female Roommate #1 was my roommate. Your choice of a CD case was more a result of rashness than a misunderstanding of physics, in my opinion.