Thursday, October 18, 2007

Women in Overalls

Women in overalls are sexy.


Kimiko in Dresden Codak

True, cartoon people look better than real people, but come on. You've got to admit those overalls and that sports bra are damn sexy.

That picture of Kimiko is the newsbox image that got me reading this excellent, beautiful, rarely-updated comic, proving the world needs more drawings of girls in overalls.


Florence Darel in A La Mode (1993)

I have scoured the internet for a picture of this vision in mechanics' overalls, this poem of a woman, in this otherwise unremarkable movie. Nuthin'.

Interesting point: Florence Darel looks better wearing overalls and fixing a car than she ever does in the absurd fashions that make the protagonist a star in the world of this movie, just like Lindsey Lohan looks better when she's well-adjusted and in jeans than she does crazy and in designer labels.


This One Girl Who Was Pouring Apple Cider at Hampshire College Last Weekend

Due to Facebook, I am hearing more and more often from old friends at my odd and obscure school in South Wales. One of these people is Codename Alex. As of recently, she's going to Hampshire College, so I took the train ride up there this past Friday to see what was going on with her after seven years or so.

It was gorgeous early fall New England weather, and it was Family and Friends Weekend, so there was a good amount of stuff going on. I spent most of my time hanging out with Codename Alex's friends, who refer to themselves as The Amoeba.

One day, we went out to the farm to watch some bellydancing. These farm kids were pressing a bunch of fresh cider, and amongst those serving it was this gorgeous, tall brunette in overalls.

Girl in overalls, I am sorry that when confronted with beauty I devolve in to a stuttering troglodyte.

I miss you. I feel the two of us should be together - maybe we could do some WWOOF time together on an apple orchard upstate.

Maybe once you finish your Group 3 project, you will just want to kick back in the city and watch some recent movies for once, just enjoy the off-campus anonymity for awhile. Whatever you want. I will vacuum my apartment for you. I am here for your needs.

Girl, call me. The Amoeba has my number. Let's get together.

Anyway, I tried to snap a picture of her, but the time I'd composed myself enough to do it, this girl was off her cider shift and she'd put on a fleece.

So instead Codename Alex drank so much cider that she felt a little sick, I took a hayride with The Amoeba, and Jake and I invented the concept of the Amish A-Team (their machine guns never kill anyone, but then they also don't have any buttons).

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I stopped wearing overalls in the seventh grade because they weren't sexy

Anonymous said...

wow, I didn't know Girl in Overalls made such an impression. Was she in your thoughts on your train ride back? If I knew who she was, I'd contact her for you, slip her a note: "You have a secret amour. He's on Facebook. Check here if you like him too. Check here if you don't."

I'll ask Jake if he knows...