Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's Times Like This I Really Miss Peter Jennings

If there is a heaven and I am lucky enough to be able to go, the first guy I am looking up is Peter Jennings.

Watching this occasion from here in media market #1 has really made me miss his straight-forwardness, his ability to contextualize a story, and his good reporting in the old school where the facts came before the spin, if the spin was even allowed to make an appearance at all.

I don't just want to see Peter Jennings in heaven because I miss seeing him on TV. I feel like Peter Jennings is the kind of guy who would know a lot about heaven and would have no problem filling me in - how it works, what the important institutions are, what kind of controversies God has involved with lately, and where to go for the best stories, food and cigarettes.

I hope that Peter is up there right now with Ed Murrow, just clownin' on Tom Brokaw.

2 comments:

ribble said...

Update: tipped by a referral, I googled "i miss peter jennings". 200,000 results.

Anonymous said...

I miss him too. To me, his death signaled the end of broadcast journalism and the triumph of the screaming pundits.