Friday, May 26, 2006

Saw Brick Again

I watched Brick again a few nights ago. This time I even got someone to come along, my friend Moni; we were going to see Friends with Money as the least objectionable option and then I though "oh, yeah. I have to see Brick again," so we saw Brick.

Most good movies don't seem as good to me the second time because I'm just confirming the things I saw the first time - "yeah, that was there. That was there. Everything seems to be in order." For her part, Moni liked Brick but didn't love it - she couldn't get past high school students speaking so unbelievably.


But for me, Brick was as good the second time, maybe even better. Brick is so clever about revealing its secrets, careful with character motivation and judicious with plot twists that it felt really good to know what was happening all along. Plus, there's a little bit of a learning curve with Brick because of the language thing, and I got to skip that.

Here's the thing: the third time I see a movie is usually better than the second, because I get to start seeing how the movie is made: how the shots were chosen, how the lighting or props reflect the story arc, stuff like that.

Like this time I knew coming in that one of the supporting characters was only in three scenes, that she was played by an actress I liked in Lost, and that one of the scenes was a flashback, so I got to see how her clothes and makeup were different in the flashback, how well she sustained the accent, and how close she played her one big scene (it reminded me of the soap opera audition scene in Mulholland Drive).

So I have to consider the merits of seeing Brick again. It's most likely better than any of the the crap coming this summer, and I can't imagine seeing Brick anywhere but a big screen since it's so pretty. It won't last at the Angelika forever (their print is already looking pretty banged up) and it doesn't look from here like it's headed for wide release.

So my choices are to see it again and try to accept that I am obsessed enough to spend a total of $31.50 on a single movie, or to wait until I am a billionaire with my own private movie theater and watch it then, and I have a bit of a backlog for that place already.

No comments: