Tuesday, January 23, 2007

ribble's Progress #2: Work

This is the year I'm getting more work, a new apartment, and a cat. Here's how it's going so far:

NUMBER TWO (2)

WORK

So far, each time I write one of these, I am talking about a decision I did not know I'd already made. It seems that I have decided to produce no-budget short films full time with no hope of reward. I have made this seemingly senseless decision because:

1) I am desperate to commit to doing something with my time starting immediately because I consider the alternative, despite all reason, to be doing nothing at all, forever,

2) I know I can do this and do it well because I have done it and done it well,

3) At this point, I have more to learn by producing stuff I want to do than by working as a PA,

4) If I stick with it and don't do anything else, I can make a lot of films very quickly, and, like John Turturro putting wax in his ears in Barton Fink, I kind of have to ride that creative wave out before I lose it.

5) Sinbad says get paid in cash and be your own boss.


Last week I spent settling in from New Orleans and making space for an office. Monday felt like the first day of work at a new job.

So far, my work as a producer consists mostly of making phone calls. The biggest challenge, I can already tell, will be keeping organized. I'm keeping a phone log, but what I really want is a giant white board. Yes, a man can dream...

So far, I am a pretty good boss. I started a bit later in the day than I would have liked, but I gave myself a lot of time off to write.

I am realizing as I write this that it is difficult to explain that this is not a bullshit job. I enjoy it too much. I'm working from home. No one knows what a producer does anyway (Please do not ask me. There are books you can read. I am sick of explaining it. You will only make me whinier.)

I agree with this straw man of accusation in that I believe the only way to justify being self-employed is to produce either money or content. I hope for plenty of the second, but I'm not counting on any of the first.

No comments: