Monday, March 27, 2006

Smart is the New Funny

Sci Fi in general has been beating the same dead horse for awhile. I always loved Hitchhiker's Guide, so it made sense to look to the funny stuff for innovation. I was surprised when I figured out that Futurama was coming up with the only really new ideas in sci-fi in awhile, but it made sense - in a strip-mined genre, the most innovative stories come from parody.

So if sci-fi creates the future, will the future be funny? And, specifically, will there be livestock-based workstations?

In the Douglas Adams future, very little is manufactured, because it's usually growing somewhere in the universe anyway. There was a great bit where Marvin has a long chat with a playful sofa before it's harvested.

I say, let's do it! Grain-fueled computing is a must for the new era! I say to America's scientists, go! We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard! Computers in cows by 2012!

No comments: