Saturday, April 01, 2006

Kill Time with Wikipedia

Wikipedia goes on forever. I discovered this in January when I lost my job and found myself with a lot of time to kill. I started hitting these weird clusters of articles, strange things I'd never explored before. In keeping with the theme of today's posts (laziness) here's a list of some clusters or categories of articles you can use to kill a week of your life, too.

Warhammer 40,000, a tabletop game I remembered my friend's older brother playing in his attic when I was young. I started looking at the Warhammer category because this poorly-drawn comic reminded me there was a deep, rich fictional world behind the game. The human emperor destroys 10,000 psychics every day to create a beacon that allows interstellar travel to happen. That sort of thing.

Future Events and Years in the Future. I started thinking about what future events were predictable way back in my reporting days when I made a list of stories that would be very important in my lifetime, like the death of Kim Jong Il. I was reminded when the start of the 2006 Winter Olympics caught me completely by surprise.

Final Fantasy and Slashdot are both categories Johnny has posted about. Final Fantasy is difficult to get a handle on unless you've been playing it since 1987 (I haven't, but I do play FFXI). There's no consistent world or cannon in Final Fantasy, just conventions, themes and structures. In the Slashdot category, the entries on in-jokes and trolls make the best reads.

Internet memes. Find the definition for the phenomenon that arguably defines the internet here. Another good list of memes is at memepool.

Doctor Who, the great British television show that I've never seen. I could Netflix it, which is why it didn't make my TiVo wishlist, but after exploring that entry for awhile, I honestly didn't know where to start.

Finally, Today's Special.

No comments: