Wednesday, April 12, 2006

ribble discovers Gorillaz

This weekend I watched my first Gorillaz videos , and they kinda blew my mind.

This all started when everyone made a big huge deal about Gorillaz coming to the Apollo a week or so ago.

My cousin the revolutionary has played a lot of Demon Days around the apartment, and it's worked my way on to the very short list of albums that I listen to regularly. I would have seen the show, but
1) It sold out a billion different times
2) It was $70
3) I don't really care about music
4) Speedrail pointed out that it was just going to be some guys singing behind a screen with a bunch of cartoons

Actually I guess I was never going to see the show.


But that last point got me interested in the Gorillaz videos. If the show consisted of a bunch of cartoons, why not just watch the cartoons and save my money for the metaphorical two hookers and an eight ball?

I had never taken the time or effort to understand what it meant that Gorillaz was a virtual band (see point 3). So my first stop was, of course, the Wikipedia entry.

The first thing that got my attention was that the creative force behind Gorillaz was Jamie Hewlett of Tank Girl and Damon Albarn of Blur. Both of these guys had work I loved but America never really got behind, and I'd pretty much given up hope it ever would.

There are plenty of second chances in public life. Just as everyone from Zombie College ended up in Futurama, just as the Howie Mandel Show became Deal or No Deal, just like Steve Guttenberg eventually found his place in ... Wait. What the hell do you mean they're making a new Police Academy movie?!? Jesus Christ! I thought the worst was over!

The characters and backstories are well done technically and consistent in tone between the music and the visuals. Hewlett and Albarn created a deep, rich world for Gorillaz, both online and offline. Check out Kong Studios here.

No comments: