Monday, April 03, 2006

My Week of Employment

Is it wrong to never want to work again?

I work in Manhattan's Chinatown as an after school homework supervisor of the cutest kids you've ever seen. My relatively low-responsibility job is make sure these kids do their homework and don't destroy each other. Normally I do this twice a week, but a few weeks ago a friend of mine at work was out sick and I found myself with a genuine five-day work week.

I started the week off tired and annoyed and never improved. The worst part was substitute teaching, which requires skill and training where supervising homework requires patience and an ability to yell effectively.

When I lost my media job in January, I had a lot of trouble getting started on looking for something new. In fact, I never really got started, and now I'm wondering if I should even bother feeling guilty about it. The homework job is fun when it's just for a few days a week, and lately I've been quite happy writing, taking care of the kids and not looking for a job.

I have a documented tendency to unnecessarily assess judgment on myself. Lately I've been asking myself if it's okay to pursue this quiet inclination to settle in to what I have and forget about the job I never wanted enough to go out and get anyway. I can always just wait for it to fall in my lap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!! I love your link to BIG WONG.


Cheers to our tradition.

ribble said...

Big Wong is the best. I recommend the roast pork on rice. Also, the dumpling noodle soup.