Wednesday, March 07, 2007

NY f'in T[imes]

I am a life-long reader of the New York Times, but I am starting to understand the inherent limits of a paper of record.

Last Thursday on the train, I was browsing the Metro section and I noticed that it was a particularly strong day for local news. I read about witnesses getting scared off murder cases because it reminded me of a major plot thread in The Wire (like many sheltered white guys, everything I know about drug-related violence, I learned from The Wire).

Then I read about pedicabs, because, seriously, who are those guys? Then I read about someone who's going around destroying street art, which reminded me of this thing that happened at school.

So I reach my destination, and as I'm leaving the train, I notice the front page of someone's New York Post. The headline is HOUSE OF PAIN: $3 Million Estate an 'S&M Lair'.

I think, "Oh, yeah. That's what I was supposed to be reading."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We took a pedicab once. because in midtown, there were no cabs to be had. It was scary. On the other hand, the S&M place wasn't scary at all.

Gigi said...

If you are into S&M check out Deleuze and Guattari's (french philosophers) "anti-oedipis" where they discuss crazy shit like how to become a "body without organs". There are also extremely descriptive S&M scenes. We read parts of it for class.

ribble said...

What class was this!?