Monday, March 26, 2007

Three Neglected Leading Ladies

If Tarantino can build a career on remembering who Travolta was supposed to be, I can build my magnificent future as a famour writer / director on knowing about these three leading ladies. All three have been forgotten or neglected by Hollywood, and each of them can carry a film a damn spot better than most of those bitches out there.

Diana Rigg
Sexy, British, and, in the best Bond film ever, the only woman to ever successfully lure James Bond in to a marriage (it didn't last), Diana Rigg apparently didn't make it past hosting "Mystery!" because at some point in the '60s, people realized she had small breasts.

Now, she has reached that delicate age that no one writes parts for. This is because all writers are all struggling men in their 20s who don't think there are enough struggling men in their 20s on the big screen.

I read in some film book or another that the way to get good actors is to write movies with older people in them. What we need is an over-60 spy heroine; maybe Tara Chase in 2047.

Lori Petty
I'd say I had a crush on Lori Petty since the first moment I saw her, but it would be more accurate to say I've had a crush on Lori Petty since I first heard her voice.

Petty has that little-girl-who-will-kick-your-ass voice that I find just awesome. Very suited for the-tougher-than-Keanu girlfriend in Point Break (best California chase sequence ever), Tank Girl (which got me in to Gorillaz) and Kit the Little Sister in League of Their Own, who was so much cooler than Geena Davis.

Most recently, MCTR and I saw her in Route 666. Sigh. Someone give this girl a feature film break.

Karen Allen
Karen Allen was the star of Raiders of the Lost Arc, and she blew any subsequent Indy girls right out of the water.

Allen could carry any story in her eyes, and what eyes! I've seen people with those deep, blue, almost luminescent eyes since then, but they have never failed to take me by surprise. She's also got that wonderful combination of toughness and vulnerability that makes any one of these three neglected actresses the perfect foil for a feature film.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should also mention that she was in Animal House. And, er, Starman.

5 comments:

Gigi said...

Diana Rigg appears in the third episode of the second season of Extras. Daniel Radcliff throws a condom at her.

Anonymous said...

I have no real comment. I just wanted to tell you that I am writing this from my wii!

ribble said...

These are both pretty representative comments.

Jose said...

Excuse me but Bullit has by far the best California chase scene in any film complete with huge flaming wreck.

ribble said...

You may be right, american. Comparing Bullit and Point Break is a bit like comparing kumquats and quasars.

I have been watching a lot of Keanu Reeves movies lately, because I am watching more live TV and these things go together.

Despite or maybe because of the fact that Keanu has made a lot of movies that I like despite myself, I had forgotten what a horrible actor this man really is.

Maybe Keanu and I just have similar taste in movies regardless of acting ability, much like John Travolta and I seem to have very different taste in movies regardless of his being a very good actor.