Monday, September 04, 2006

Awkward

The only consistent thing about the people on a film set, and I mean everyone in every department, is that they are all movie people. It's disorienting, like visiting a country where you are no longer a minority, but it's also addictive. It's getting so I've started to think of New York as my film city.

Did you see that Talk of the Town a few years back about a NY-D.C. shuttler? District residents are always talking about politics, and New Yorkers are always talking about real estate, so when he mentioned politics in New York or real estate in D.C. it was like "Whoa. Wrong city. Wrong conversation."

A few weeks ago I was sitting at the kid's table at a family friend's 60th birthday party in Boston and we were talking about Halloween costumes. One of the guys at my table said he always goes as movie characters, like Action Ford or Venkman (I got very excited because I went as him when I was 10).

This year he's going as Goose, so I suggested to his girlfriend that she go as Meg Ryan. She said she could never go as anything that required her to wear a bomber jacket. So, without thinking, I said "You should go as Porco Rosso."

Whoa. Wrong city, wrong conversation.

No comments: