Thursday, June 08, 2006

Something Strange About My Friends

I have a lot of friends. I always have. Having friends in New York is different than having friends in school - at school, whatever I was doing (like, say, eating lunch) I was doing with a lot of friends. Here in the city, and this is the strangest thing, there is usually a particular thing I do a with particular friend to the exclusion of all other things, and I don't do that one particular thing with anyone else.

I have a friend I see movies with,
I have a friend I see plays with,
I have a friend I hang around Central Park with,
I have a friend I work with,
I have a friend I listen to (although lately she's gotten better at listening to me, too),
I have a friend I go to new restaurants with,
I have a friend I see in his apartment where we always watch T.V.,
I have a friend I used to work with,
I have a friend I live with,
and I have a friend I always go to the same restaurant with.

Sometimes a friend will break a pattern, and the phenomenon is more constant with some friends than with others, but, still, the consistency is a little creepy.

2 comments:

ribble said...

So Speedrail and I have went out to some club with this friend of ours from Brooklyn and the band Destro Sound, and I tried to dance with his girlfriend, and after two songs she announced that she just couldn't keep up. Then another time I was dancing with some acquantance of Speedrail and she literally said "Whoa. Too much," and would not dance with me any more. So what I'm saying is me dancing may be enough for some, but it is too much for many.

Anonymous said...

Count me in the first group! I miss you and your dancing.

Why didn't you come up to Dartmouth this weekend? There was a big group that drove up from NYC. Would have loved to see you.

If you can make it next weekend all of the 01s and assorted other people will be there (Dan and I are going back next weekend too).